Thursday, August 6, 2009

Preserving Memories

You know how some smells can trigger the most random memories? One of those smells for me is the smell of fresh dill. Hmmmmm. Dill. I wanted to pick a little bouquet of it and let the smell permeate my house. But I didn't. The dill had a much better use in helping us make hmmm delicious pickles! I know there are those of you out there that think that dill pickles are Satan's tool, and that sweet is the only way to go. I won't hold it against you, I know we all have our own tastes. But homemade dills. Crunchy with a hint of zesty. Love them! I would post the recipe but since I made them at my moms I don't have it with me. But if you are interested in it, just let me know!






































I will post however the recipe for your very own blueberry pie filling. This stuff rocks! It was a little thick in bottling it, so I have a few air pockets, but WHO CARES! De-lish. I am already making plans for pie-cobbler-crepes, when the snow is white and our days short. A bit of summer to brighten our days!




Blueberry Pie Filling

For 1 Quart

3 1/2 C Fresh Blueberries
3/4 C + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/4 C + 1 Tsp. Clear-Jel
1 1/3 C cold Water
1 drop Red food Coloring (Optional)
3 Drops Blue food Coloring (Optional)
3 1/3 Tsp Bottled lemon Juice

Wash and drain blueberries. Combine sugar and clear-jel in a large kettle. Stir. Add water and food coloring. Cook on medium high heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice and boil one minute, stirring constantly. Fold in berries. For preserving: Fill pint or quart jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Process immediately in boiling water canner for 30 min low altitude, 35-40 high altitude. Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Darilyn said...

Yum, i've never made blueberry pie filling. That looks good. Hey, mom's recipe for pickles is on my blog. I posted it last summer.